Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Domestic redeye bedding? (non-premium transcon service flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro

I am looking at taking a overnight flight from SEA to the east coast, cost and times are about the same to take Jetblue Mint to JFK or United 757-200 with lie flats to IAD. I know Jetblue will serve a full meal and United won't, not so worried about that as it is a late flight and I will likely try to sleep as soon as we are in the air. Does UA provide a decent blanket and pillow for domestic redeyes that are not on the advertised premium transcon (LAX-EWR, ect) routes? Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Nope! You will get the blue linen fake blanket.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
The bedding on non-p.s. transcons is dreadful.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Nope! You will get the blue linen fake blanket.
I am familiar with it! I thought it was nicer than what American gives on a standard first class flight, but not substantial enough for sleep. Shame.
Originally Posted by Santander
The bedding on non-p.s. transcons is dreadful.
I see, well that is a solid reason to give B6 a try!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
IME it depends on departure hub and some random chance. I have definitely received Polaris bedding on some domestic non-p.s. widebody flights (eg. daytime 789 SFO-IAH) and also nothing on others (redeye 788 SFO-IAD). Guessing as SEA is not a hub you won't get anything though.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
The last SFO-ORD redeye I was on I had the light Polaris blanket (beige-y herringbone pattern) and a pillow with a very scratchy paper/cloth cover. I've had everything from the full p.s. kit to just the see-through blanket (and no pillow) on redeyes on this route (all in lie-flats).
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAaronT
The last SFO-ORD redeye I was on I had the light Polaris blanket (beige-y herringbone pattern) and a pillow with a very scratchy paper/cloth cover. I've had everything from the full p.s. kit to just the see-through blanket (and no pillow) on redeyes on this route (all in lie-flats).
At least it seems consistent that it changes every time !
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:50 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Heck, I wish daytime flights on wide-bodies and 752s would have even a pillow, and have routinely been disappointed.

I honestly bring my own pillow and even sometimes a throw on domestic red-eyes, as I expect nothing and am rarely disappointed. Sometimes get the old domestic F pillow, slightly more often the scratchy bagged blanket.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
The UA blanket is, as far as I can tell, made of compressed lint.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Consider yourself lucky!!! I fly twice a month on the 777 Domestic red eye and I’ve never seen anything but the blue lint on SFO-ORD.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K

Consider yourself lucky!!! I fly twice a month on the 777 Domestic red eye and I’ve never seen anything but the blue lint on SFO-ORD.
To be fair, I avoid domestic redeyes like the plague so they’re not that frequent, so I could be misremembering the nice stuff when it was actually SFO-EWR. But definitely got the Polaris light blanket and scratchy pillow to ORD.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
My 777G HNL-SFO redeye a few weeks back featured the great Saks Polaris duvet aaahhh zzzz.

Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
FWIW - UA determines amenities based on aircraft, not the routes.

I have gotten business bedding with SFO-LAX on B772 before.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - UA determines amenities based on aircraft, not the routes.
I got standard domestic FC bedding for SFO-IAD redeye on B788 aircraft this Tuesday.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
If you have an awesome FA like I did on our flight from BOS - LAX, he or she will come through the FC cabin and offer extra blankets because they already know the blue thin ones are useless. Two of them together work really well though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.